Foot ankle orthotics is a medical instrument used to support movements of the lower leg. It supports the weak muscles while you take a step and try to move. People with neurological or orthopedic conditions often wear the device to balance the instability in the lower limb. If you suffer from any disorders related to your legs, you can use the instrument to provide your foot clearance. It will assist you in preventing your movements and forming a balance in your joint alignment and deformity. The write-up has mentioned all information you need regarding your foot-ankle orthotics.
What Are The Types Of Foot Ankle Orthotics?
There are different types of foot ankle orthotics available in the market. Each of them carries different properties. It depends on your physician what he/she will recommend. Sometimes, it depends on your disorder or how deep the strain is. Here we have mentioned all the categories to give some basic info.
- Rigid Foot Ankle Orthotics- A rigid foot ankle orthotics covers the back of your leg and thus limits muscle movements. Once you wear it, you will observe a toe clearance while your foot swings. Resulting in complete stability in the foot and ankles simultaneously. Moreover, children who suffer from cerebral palsy, use orthotics to recover shortly.
- Interlocked FAO- It adheres to their controlled movements. You can also adjust the range of motions stated by your physician. Moreover, you have to wear the device with laced shoes for more stability. Precisely, the interlocked system helps in systematic functioning. Casualties might not get you the desired results.
- Productive FAO- A productive foot ankle orthotics help patients correct their deformity with minimum force. It consists of a thermoplastic customed to the foot. It maintains the encompassing control of the foot and thus, the movements remain neutral.
- Carbon Fiber Foot Ankle Orthotics- A carbon FAO consists of a flat footplate. These are semi-flexible and are lightweight at the same time. Its specific features help reduce pressure by interacting with critical pressure points. It develops strength in patients with lateral ankle instability. Individuals who want to control torsion forces can opt for the carbon fibre device for regular movements.
- Floor Reaction- A floor reaction is also known as a ground reaction device. It consists of a molded plastic that divides the ground reaction close to your knee. Often people with spinal cord injury post-polio paralysis use this device to walk easily.
- Rear Leaf Spring- The rear leaf spring allows patients to make movements smoother. Not only that, but it also stores energy with every step you take. This way, a patient can walk easily and is used for patients with mild spastic disorder.
How To Select The Correct Foot Ankle Orthotics?
If you are confused about selecting an ideal foot ankle orthotics for yourself, then here are some essential features that will assist you. However, your doctor’s recommendation may be a final call for you still you can choose with some options-
- Replacing Parts– Some parts may need replacement with time, including hinges or straps. If you want to wear the device for a longer period, you must ensure that maximum parts are easily replaceable.
- Comfort– Comfort is of utmost importance, especially when you want to recover from an injury or disorder. If you notice any discomfort while checking it, immediately consult your doctor or replace it.
- Way Of Wearing– There are multiple ways you can wear orthotics. Sometimes with shoes, or sometimes without shoes. Make sure you do not feel any pain while wearing it all the time.
Henceforth, now you have a vivid idea about what a foot ankle orthotics is and its types. You also know now how to choose effective orthotics based on your ankle issues. It will certainly make you more comfortable than you already are.