Are you suffering from tooth decay and finding ways to deal with it? Then, the dentures will be helpful. Yes, they are like artificial teeth. They are prosthetics that are removable replacements and are created by the dentist. They are the perfect replacement for your missing and decaying teeth. And no, if you think you will feel uncomfortable wearing them, then you must read ahead. These will in no way affect your appearance. In fact, it will help you eat and lead a normal life. You would also feel confident wearing them; something which you might have been lacking because of the damaged teeth. It might take some time for the person to adjust using it but once done, you will lead a normal life.
Types of Dentures
In the market, you will find two types of dentures–
- Complete – Complete is used by those who have lost all their teeth. They can replace the upper, lower or both the jaw. These full prosthetics are made of acrylic or porcelain.
- Partial – Partial ones are useful for those who have lost only one or two teeth. So, if you have some damaged teeth, then partial ones are a good choice for you. It is also less expensive than replacing the full set of teeth.
Taking Care of Artificial Teeth
- As someone who is wearing full or partial dentures, you need to remember that those are your replacement teeth, but they function like original teeth, they, too, need proper care. Just like you brush your teeth two times a day to keep it clean, the dentures must be cleaned to keep them stain-free. In fact, you should brush your dentures at least once every day.
- After removing them, one should cleanse the mouth properly. At times, you can wear dentures and go to sleep. But the doctors generally ask the patients to remove them while sleeping, because the gums can take rest too.
- Also, run cold water (avoid hot and boiling water) on it before soaking them in medicinal denture-solution at night. In this way, you can avoid your dentures from drying out.
- Don’t forget to read the instructions on the denture –soaking manual before soaking.
- One should also pay a regular visit to the dentist. These artificial teeth need to be examined professionally, especially if you don’t want to wear loose dentures. Lose dentures cause a lot of irritation and discomfort.
Common Dentures Problems and Solutions
Difficulty in Eating: For the first few days, it might give you some troublesome. Especially, if you try eating some sticky cuisine.
Excessive Saliva: Again, if you knew to use them, then, you might treat it as a new foreign object. You might also feel like your salivary glands are creating more saliva. Try having a mint, and it might solve the excessive saliva problem.
Pain and Sore: It might cause some pain initially, and therefore, one should rinse the mouth with Luke-warm water or salt water to get rid of the irritation.
Slipping Dentures: As mentioned above, these are new objects, which have entered your mouth and it might keep slipping. But don’t worry. Use the prescribed adhesive to them the artificial replacements in place.
Like any guest who comes to our house, dentures, too, need proper care and attention. And this is where the dentists or the prosthetics shops specializing in repairing, making and fitting high-quality natural ones come to the rescue. Also, one needs to visit a professional dentist before you put them into the mouth.
Technology has helped mankind in many ways. It has transformed the medical sciences, problems that appeared unsolvable earlier now have a solution. Dentures are a great way to help those who have problematic teeth have met an accident where they have lost their teeth or have damaged teeth. In any case, it will help you lead a normal life.